The current strategic direction at the High Line is to reimagine the idea of public space; continue to maintain the High Line; and, to welcome and serve the diversity of New York City.
FHL provides virtually all of the park's operating budget and philanthropy accounts for approximately $13 million of a current annual operating budget of $15 million.
The Foundation and Government Relations Officer will manage our foundation and government grants strategy for annual operations, programmatic support, strategic initiatives, and capital projects. Our developing foundation and government program currently raises $1.2 million, with ambitious goals for growth.
The ideal candidate is an innovative advancement professional with a track record of success in identifying, engaging, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding current and prospective funders through propelling change and strong mission awareness. Reporting to the VP of Development, this position provides the exciting opportunity to employ strategies that will shape the future of the High Line at a pivotal point in its history.
- Evaluate current foundation and government grant strategies with the goal of tapping into a broad range of prospective partnerships at local, regional and national level
- Develop and execute a multi-year strategy for expanding foundation and government philanthropic revenue
- Collaborate with program managers to design and develop funding opportunities
- Work across departments, especially Finance and Programmatic teams, to ensure organizational compliance with grant terms and restrictions
- Manage, cultivate and steward existing portfolio of foundation and government partners
- Work collaboratively with other departments and development staff to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the prospect
- Write and edit compelling grant proposals and narratives that align with each individual funder
- Cultivate and foster relationships with funders, Board members, volunteers, government and community leaders
- Maintaining the calendar of solicitation, stewardship, and reporting requirements for foundation and government funders
- Deep understanding of foundation and government partner relationships at city and regional level with a strong interest and awareness at a national level
- Minimum 4 years’ proven track record of frontline fundraising with foundations at mid/large-sized not-for-profit
- Minimum 3 years of grant writing experience required
- Superior written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills, as well as presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing work environment, and make quick decisions
- Strong project manager with the ability to juggle various projects and deadlines
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the High Line, public spaces, arts and culture, and public/private partnerships
- Strong budgeting skills for preparation of grant proposals and reports
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise