ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Data and Evaluation manages The Literacy Lab’s efforts to collect, monitor, and analyze data to improve outcomes and ensure that the organization is fulfilling its mission. The Director of Data and Evaluation leads the Data Department and works with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) to set and execute the organization’s accountability strategy. The Director of Data and Evaluation is a key member of the organization’s leadership who helps the organization to understand its effectiveness and continuously improve its impact.
ABOUT THE LITERACY LAB
The Literacy Lab is a fast-paced, Washington, DC-based non-profit organization with a mission to provide low-income children with individualized reading instruction by utilizing the talents of AmeriCorps members and Leading Men Fellows to improve their literacy skills, leading to greater success in school and increased opportunities in life.
We partner with school districts to add capacity in high-need schools to close the literacy achievement gap for children before third grade. We continue to build a collaborative and inspiring environment in which student-centeredness, DEI growth, common purpose, and community thrive.
THE LITERACY LAB’S COMMUNITY IMPACT
The education system in the United States continues to be deeply impacted by a long history of unjust policies that socio-economically disinvest in communities of color. The Literacy Lab’s mission is to address inequities by providing students of color with individualized reading instruction to improve their literacy skills. We believe that when young people of all races and from different economic brackets have equitable access to robust educational and professional development opportunities, they will be more successful as adults and their communities will be more resilient and prosperous.
Since 2009, The Literacy Lab has provided evidence-based literacy interventions to more than 30,000 children from marginalized communities to master early literacy skills. By embedding rigorously trained tutors in pre-K classrooms and elementary schools to tutor students of color from pre-K through third grade, The Literacy Lab strives to create a full six-year continuum of support for young readers.
The Director of Data and Evaluation reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and is primarily responsible for the following:
- Lead the organization’s efforts to collect, understand, and actively use data to improve student outcomes and programmatic performance.
- Track progress, provide insight, and oversee organizational accountability to key performance indicators (KPIs) outlined in the organization’s strategic plan.
- Consult with organizational leadership on decisions that are impacted by or may be informed by data, and advise on new data sources where necessary.
- Set and carry out the strategic vision for the Data and Evaluation team, and represent the department’s interests as part of the organization’s leadership team.
- Develop a strategy to transform the organization’s data culture by increasing staff, tutor, and Fellow data fluency and understanding of data as a resource to advance the organizational mission.
- Engage in complex evaluation of the organization’s work, either internally or in partnership with external research teams.
- Ensure that data is collected, processed, and reported in a way that centers equity and maintains the highest level of accuracy and integrity.
- Oversee the maintenance, integrity, and security of the systems used to collect and store data.
- Manage the creation, maintenance, and accessibility of data reports and dashboards.
- Engage in succession planning as an active aspect of the role, and ensure that legacy documents are produced and updated.
- Partner with the Central Operations department to develop its culture and improve its functioning on the intra- and inter-department levels.
- Serve as a Learning Partner to any Data and Evaluation staff.
- Be a model of continuous learning, including in terms of diversity, belonging, inclusion, and equity.
- Fulfill other duties, as assigned.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- Strategic thinker with excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent analytical skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Proven ability in using data to inform strategic decision-making and priority-setting
- Excellent skills in data languages and software, including R, SQL, and PowerBI
- Experience centering diversity, equity and inclusion in data analysis
- Experience in data visualization, dashboards, presentations, and translating complex concepts for diverse audiences
- Experience in statistical analysis, including having conducted or overseen research studies
- Ability to manage projects with minimal direction and an entrepreneurial growth mindset
- Experience in education, nonprofits, and/or with high-need communities, preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience
WORK LOCATION: You must live in one of The Literacy Lab’s current or future locations: Arizona, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Ohio, Virginia, Washington D.C, and Wisconsin.
TRAVEL: This position may require out-of-town travel with notice.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: The salary range for this position is $100,000-$110,000. Benefits include a flexible work environment, employer-paid health and dental insurance, employer-paid short and long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, a 403b retirement plan, and paid vacation.
APPLICATION DETAILS: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references with contact information via email to "jobs@ theliteracylab.org" (with the subject line ATTN: Director of Data and Evaluation). Candidates that only apply through Indeed will not be considered.
The Literacy Lab is an equal opportunity employer. The Literacy Lab’s policy is to provide equal opportunity at all times without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental disability, medication, or status as a veteran.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
Work Location: Remote