The Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE) activates the entrepreneurial mindset and builds start-up skills in youth from under-resourced communities to ensure their success and to create a more vibrant and inclusive society. We are searching for an experienced and innovative Director of Communications to help us amplify our message, brand, and impact.
With more than three decades of expertise in entrepreneurship education, a global network of partners, and a proven curriculum and approach, NFTE is positioned for expanded success! Over the last two years, we have significantly increased the quality and frequency of our presence with earned media coverage of our programming and learners from top tier national and regional media outlets such as People, Vanity Fair, NPR, CBS, Vibe, Good Day New York, The Boston Globe, and Chronicle. Additionally, we are working hard to build our profile as thought-leaders. Members of our national and regional leadership teams have been invited presenters at conferences like the ASU+GSV Summit, SXSW EDU, The Northeastern Educational Research Association, and The Strategic Growth Forum. Earlier this year, our CEO testified before the U.S. Congressional Committee on Small Business.
Come lead our efforts to grow our visibility to the next level! Reporting to our CEO, the National Director of Communications will develop and implement organization-wide strategies in coordination with members of the senior leadership team and regional executive directors.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an outcomes-driven marketing and communications plan, including a strategy to achieve brand positioning goals, amplify NFTE’s impact and program activities, enhance communications infrastructure, and effectively maintain public/external relations.
- Amplify thought leadership, stakeholder engagement, and organizational impact by developing complimentary earned media strategies that will garner coverage of NFTE’s leaders, students, alumni, and programmatic accomplishments.
- In coordination with creative services professionals, oversee the branded production and design of all NFTE promotional materials, website and internet presence including social media, e-newsletters, annual reports, and program briefs.
- Coordinate media and public relations opportunities for NFTE with our public relations firm.
- Lead NFTE’s outreach and communications campaigns with strategic planning and implementation in both traditional and digital media outlets.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight of day-to-day internal and external communication activities
- Collaborate with program staff and leadership from eight regions to support the development of consistent and effective branding, storytelling, and promotional assets.
- Lead the team that maintains communications support to virtual and in-person events hosted by NFTE including event promotion, branding, content capture, and media engagement.
- Manage and guide a small but mighty team of two to four professionals working across domains of branding, website development, social media, corporate partnership engagement, and internal communications.
- Manage vendor relationships directly and in coordination with your team to provide supervision to consultants for communications materials development, graphic design, video production, print production, web design, and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a related field
- Minimum 15 years of professional experience with at least seven years of experience in strategic communications and/or marketing for non-profit organizations or a similar setting
- Highly proficient in digital and traditional communication channels
- Demonstrated strength and professional writing experience with responsibility for producing quality copy for relevant communication instruments like press releases, promotional material, white papers, blogs, newsletters, etc.
- Strong project management experience, results-oriented with a high attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Strong management skills; ability to influence, train, and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- A continuous learner who is at home working alongside highly skilled and devoted colleagues
- Positive and solution-oriented attitude with the confidence to lead and the willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and execute on important projects.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, WordPress, Google Analytics, Constant Contact, social media management systems, CRMs (like Salesforce), InDesign, press release distribution services (Cision/PRWeb), and/or other analogous tools
- Cross-cultural competency and ability to connect with NFTE’s partners across private industry, education, workforce development, community-based organization, and government
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment to NFTE’s mission and core values
This is a full-time remote-based position, utilizing employee home office locations. Where feasible, co-working type locations may also be utilized as needed combined with remote work from home settings. Currently we continue to limit travel but going forward the position will require some occasional travel, especially in the support of important events, partnerships, and media opportunities. Relocation assistance is not available for this role.
Compensation: $120,000-$140,000 depending on experience and qualifications. Generous and comprehensive benefits as detailed below.
Why our employees love working at NFTE:
- Internationally recognized educational nonprofit committed to a dynamic mission
- Competitive salary with a total rewards suite of outstanding competitive benefits, including:
- NFTE sponsored Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance (fully paid by NFTE)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan with generous company match
- Generous PTO (extensive vacation/holidays/personal time; paid sick time)
- Summer Fridays, Flex Time, Paid Family Leave (up to 6 weeks), Short- and Long-term Disability and “NFTE Time” (additional paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year’s Day)
- Flexible Savings Account (FSA): Pre-tax savings for expenses not covered by plan
- Dependent Care Account (DCA): Pre-tax savings for childcare services
- Transportation Savings Account (TSA): Pre-tax savings for transit and parking services
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Professional development support through learning opportunities (internal workshops, external conferences, and organizational projects)
- Merit-driven recognition and performance management programs
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Employee Referral Program
Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE) is a global nonprofit organization that provides high-quality entrepreneurship education to middle and high school students from under-resourced communities, as well as programs for college students and adults. NFTE reaches 50,000+ students annually in 25 states across the U.S. and offers programs in 14 additional countries. We have educated more than a million students through in-school, out-of-school, college, and summer camp programs, offered in person and online. To learn more about how we are promoting inclusive capitalism and building the next generation of diverse entrepreneurs, visit www.nfte.com.
NFTE is a student-focused, equity-driven organization that works to empower youth and combat inequities in education, the economy, and our broader society. We offer a diverse and inclusive workplace where learning from each other is an integral part of our culture. NFTE actively welcomes people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Go to NFTE’s Careers page. Please attach your resume along with a brief cover letter. In your cover letter, you must respond to the following:
- Are you authorized to work lawfully in the United States? __ Yes __ No
- Will you now or in the future require NFTE to sponsor an immigration case to employ you for (e.g., H-1B or other employment-based immigration case)? __ Yes __ No
- Are you subject to any restrictions (i.e. non-competes or any other prior employment commitments) that would inhibit your ability to carry out the responsibilities of this position at NFTE? __ Yes __ No
- Your experience as it directly relates to the requirements listed in the job description.
- Why you want to work for NFTE.
- Your salary requirements/expectations.
A cover letter and your response to the questions above are required. We will only contact applicants who provide a cover letter. Due to the high number of anticipated applications, NFTE cannot guarantee all applicants will receive a reply and thank candidates in advance for their understanding.