At Goodwill of Middle Georgia and the CSRA we build lives, families and communities one career at a time by helping people develop their God-given gifts through education, work and career services. We have a mission-driven opportunity to join our Career Development team as a Career Coach servicing the Middle Georgia Area.
BASIC FUNCTION: The Career Coach position will assist program participants to: Develop job-seeking skills; find and retain employment; reach education or training goals, and maintain financial stability via career pathways. The Career Coach will also coordinate services that address barriers to education, training, employment and self-sufficiency and provide on-going counseling and support with the individual as needed to help that individual meet his or her goals.
- Demonstrate core values of Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia and the CSRA (GIMG) by modeling service, ownership, accountability and respect.
- Ensure that highest quality, individualized services are delivered to program participants with a focus on the mission of GIMG.
- Use aptitude and achievement assessments to help clients evaluate their interests, skills, and abilities.
- Evaluate participants’ background, education, and training, to help them develop realistic goals.
- Guide participants through making decisions about their careers, such as choosing a new profession and the type of credential or degree to pursue.
- Assist participants in locating and applying for jobs, by teaching them strategies that will be helpful in finding openings and writing a résumé.
- Conduct and publicize group workshops on a variety of topics, including writing resumes and cover letters, successful job interviewing, using employment databases and career development resources, and researching training and education programs.
- Work with participants to overcome issues that could undermine their academic or career success.
- Refers participants to Helms College (HC), Goodwill Human Resources (HR), Goodwill Staffing Services (GSS), Workforce Development (WFD), and Helms Career Education (HCE) to help clients secure career advancement.
- Help participants craft a long-term plan for reaching their career objectives
- Connect participants to additional resources such as financial aid, vocational training, extensive counseling and therapy services, medical care providers, or other state and local assistance as needed.
- Maintains currency with industry trends; updates labor market information by researching online resources, attending meetings, maintaining contacts with regional community colleges, and networking with professional/community organizations that are involved in job placement/training activities.
- Ensure participant information is timely entered into appropriate database or report and that job seeker information meets confidentiality requirements.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of reports as required.
EXERIENCE/ KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS:
- Experience providing career coaching/counseling to diverse adult populations across the full career development lifespan to include career assessments, career exploration, career decision-making, resumes, personal branding, interview strategies, job search strategies, etc.
- Evidence utilizing a holistic approach to assist individuals with their career and educational goals.
- Experience working in higher education or extensive knowledge of post-secondary educational institutions and various types of certificate/degree programs.
- Demonstrated evidence of successfully working in a team environment
- Experience working with under-served populations including but not limited to veterans, returning citizens, GED/non-high school graduates, persons with disabilities, senior citizens.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Suite and database systems.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to quickly adapt to change.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to interact in positive, motivational and supportive manner, providing guidance to job seekers with very diverse background.
- Able to work flexible hours and travel to multiple work locations as needed.
PHYSICAL AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- The ability to sit for long periods of time.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- The ability to speak in a manner which can be easily understood.
- The ability to exercise independent judgment.
- The ability to recommend solutions to identified problems.
- The ability to think and react calmly in emergency situations.
- The ability to work with others under stressful conditions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution required. Master’s Degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 1 - 3 years of experience providing career counseling and/or coaching to those seeking employment and advancement in their careers. Experience in using various career exploration tools and assessments. Experience interpreting local labor market information.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $40,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Macon, GA 31206: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Career coaching: 1 year (Required)