Director of Major Gifts
Position: Director of Major Gifts
Location: Missoula, MT
Reporting Relationship: Vice President, Heidi DeArment
The Director of Major Gifts is a new role intended to enhance and accelerate MoFi’s fundraising efforts from individual and corporate sources at the six-figure level and above. The successful candidate will serve as the chief fundraiser within the organization and bring a track record of experience in fundraising within major and principal gifts as part of mission-related organizations.
The ideal Director of Major Gifts will bring financial savvy, an understanding of donor engagement, and a desire to build on the successful fundraising efforts of MoFi to the organization. This executive leader will be an invaluable member of a passionate and dynamic team throughout the American West, dedicated to making a significant impact for small business owners in the region.
Since 1986, MoFi has worked to help low-income people build successful businesses that lift people out of poverty and revitalize communities. MoFi started as a small program in Missoula, Montana committed to improving the lives of low-income women by providing entrepreneurial training to help them start small businesses. The following year, when graduates of the training program couldn’t find financing to pursue their dreams, MoFi added a small loan fund and began offering financing combined with business training for both men and women.
Over the next three decades, MoFi became one of the first Community Development Finance Institutions (CDFIs) in the country to be certified by the U.S. Treasury; established one of the largest New Markets Tax Credits Program in country providing financing in the region’s most impoverished neighborhoods; expanded its products to include affordable housing solutions; expanded its geography to six states across the Rocky Mountain West; and stayed true to its mission of providing financing and consulting that transforms lives and communities.
Today, MoFi works with thousands of low-income and disadvantaged entrepreneurs and business owners annually to provide business training, small business financing, tax credit financing, and housing solutions.
Reporting into the Vice President, the Director of Major Gifts will advance the goals of MoFi by expanding major gifts fundraising efforts while bringing best practice fundraising operations to an organization who provides financing and consulting that transforms lives and communities. The Director will serve as a leader in the organization, exhibiting organizational values internally, while externally serving as an organizational ambassador to existing and prospective donors and partners. The successful candidate will oversee the MoFi major gift portfolio and partner with the President and Vice President on existing relationships within their oversight for continuing fundraising success.
In addition to the oversight of MoFi’s major and principal gifts, the Director will also oversee the corporate sponsorship program. Collaborating with the Executive Leadership Team and other staff, the Director will create and manage processes which articulate MoFi’s initiatives and capabilities, clearly identify MoFi’s value add to the communities it serves and facilitate appropriate matching of MoFi’s activities to corporate funder desires.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate as a key contributor to the organization as a member of the Director Team, modeling effective communication, team building, innovation, and advancing strategic thinking and planning across the organization.
- Lead the construction of sustainable, long-term relationships with diverse external stakeholders, including individual donors, corporations, and other prospective partners.
- Represent MoFi’s work to the broader field at workshops, conferences, advisory panels, and other networking opportunities; develop new relationships through networking opportunities, particularly with organizations operating within the American West.
- Collaborate with the President, Vice President, and other organizational executive and non-executive leaders to establish appropriate long- and short- term fundraising goals and priorities and implement the strategic initiatives to support the MoFi mission and vision across major gift and corporate sponsorships.
- Expand MoFi’s major and principal level giving program, to include the identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual prospects and major foundation or corporate partners.
- Lead MoFi’s corporate sponsorship program, creating relationships with financial and other prospective industry partners.
- Develop new fundraising channels and markets, such as private foundations and other prospective private donors to support systemic growth in revenue.
- Research prospective donors and oversee the logistics and communications of new donor requests in collaboration with the President.
- Oversee and implement best practice fundraising operations, processes and procedures.
- Supervise the implementation of the CRM system best suited for fundraising success.
- Conduct regular internal reviews of work process and project management for major gift and corporate fundraising to further MoFi’s commitment to innovation and organizational effectiveness.
- Implement key performance indicators and other best-in-class fundraising policies to ensure best in class processes.
- Utilize internal systems and coordinate with appropriate internal staff to obtain and provide proposals, grant reporting, and other information required for the solicitation and stewardship of gifts and allocations.
- Gather fundraising data on performance metrics and other measures of success; prepare statistical analyses and reports related to fundraising efforts and donor engagement.
The successful candidate will bring a demonstrated passion for MoFi’s mission to provide financing and consulting that transforms lives and communities and have a track record of cultivating and securing major gifts in the 6-figure range. This individual will be experienced in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, comfortable managing complex projects simultaneously, and serving as a spokesperson externally for the MoFi team.
Specific qualifications include:
- 10+ years of fundraising experience in roles of increasing seniority for mission-driven organizations.
- Vast experience in fundraising across numerous sources including individual donors, corporations, and other related entities.
- Direct experience working effectively with boards of directors, senior management teams, and external partners in development initiatives.
- Proven ability to successfully collaborate strategically with individuals and teams at all levels and functions of the organization.
- Demonstrated professional verbal and written communication skills, specifically the ability to communicate organizational value-add in a clear and inspiring manner and inter-/cross-cultural communication.
- Prior knowledge of and/or experience working with Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) preferred.
- Skills and discipline to use donor and contact management systems and other technologies necessary in an international fundraising structure. Use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required, and experience in Raisers Edge, Salesforce, or similar products preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgement, prioritize and accurately complete multiple tasks, and to work under deadlines and changing priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree in related discipline preferred.
- Interested and qualified candidates are welcome to submit a resume via the application portal on the Korn Ferry website. Inquiries and nominations may be directed to: DirectorMG-MoFi@KornFerry.com